Skate - Technical
Miniature Bearings Australia Pty Ltd
Skate Bearings - Frequently Asked Questions
Skates and skateboards use precision bearings to enable them to run smoothly. They don’t require high precision bearings. Abec 1 precision is acceptable for skates and skateboards.
Beware of sales pitches that are embellished with technical sounding terms. You will often find that the more technical jargon that is contained in a sales pitch, the less meaningful it will be. If you don’t fully understand the jargon, don’t assume that it must mean something good.
Beware of sales pitches using excessive positive sounding adjectives, which when you think about it are really not measurable facts. By this we mean, look out for repetitive use of words like "super", "mega", "turbo", "extra", "improved", "heavy duty". Most of these phrases could legitimately be used to describe just about anything because they are not measurable qualities. A cassette player is improved when compared with a record player. An XT computer is Super Fast compared to an adding machine. Cardboard is heavy duty compared to paper. Plastic is heavy duty compared to cardboard. Steel is heavy duty compared to plastic. Is "Super Hardened" really any different to "Hardened"?
Frequently Asked Questions - Index
- ABEC - What does it mean?
- ABEC 1 - Is there a lower grade?
- ABEC 9 - Are they any better than ABEC 1?
- Aggressive Skating - Recommended Bearings
- Ceramic Ball Bearings - Are They Any Good?
- Full Contact Metal Shield - What Is It?
- High Precision Bearings - Grades Available
- High Precision Bearings - Standards
- High Precision Bearings - "Supermarket" brands
- High Precision Bearings - What are they used for?
- High Precision Bearings - Why all the hype?
- Indy Cars - Do Skate Wheels turn faster ?
- Is this a sales pitch?
- Noise Levels, Clearance, Lubrication - Are they covered by ABEC standards?
- Nylon Cages (Retainers)
- Other factors affecting bearing quality
- Part Numbering - "Z" and "ZZ" meaning
- Purpose of this FAQ
- Results to be expected from using High Precision Bearings
- Seals and Shields
- SUJ2 and SAE52100 - What is the difference?
- Speed - How to get more from your bearings
- Speed - What speeds do skate bearings do?
- Stainless Steel Bearings
You can purchase online at Miniature Bearings Australia Online.
For a huge range of bearings online please visit the Bearing Shop Online Website.
The Small Parts and Bearings has a much larger range of engineering supplies.
Hobby and Engineering Supplies lists a smaller range of products and only the most popular items in each range. They also list many additional hobby specific categories.
Other Technical Pages
Click Page Banner BelowTop
Click Page Banner BelowTop
Contact Counter Sales Dental Bearings
Freight Hobby Site
Hobby Large Bearings Mailorder Form Ordering
Products Search Site Online Store